Sunday, November 18, 2012

Native American Project

We were asked to figure out how geography influences the different African American tribes.  Emily and I were asked to focus on the Iroquois tribe.  

We learned the following information:

History

™They first settled in the north-eastern part of North America around 100 A.D.
™Homeland: upstate New York between the Adirondack Mountains and Niagara Falls
™They then expanded through conquest and migration and gained control of most of the northeastern United States/eastern Canada
™During the American Revolution they were forced back into their original land.
™They fought along with the British in the war with France

Culture


™Lived in longhouses: large wood-frame building covered with sheets of elm bark  
™Open space was left at the top of the house to allow smoke out when they were cooking
™Their beds were covered in skins and furs
™They had to stay in one place because they relied on agriculture
™Longhouses were long enough to hold 30-60 people
™The women were in charge of raising the children and harvesting the crops 
Dress


™Clothes were made from deerskin
™The women wore skirts and moccasins
™Men wore breechcloths with long leggings
™They wore snowshoes in ritual dancing
™They liked jewelry and make up
™Tattoos covered most of their bodies

Languages-The languages were named after the individual tribes
–Mohawk
–Seneca
–Oneida
–Onondaga
–Cayuga
–Tuscarora

Reflection
I think that as future teachers, we need to be very knowledgeable about content.I  think that this project deepened my understanding of Native Amerians which will help when I'm a teacher!  

No comments:

Post a Comment