Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Philosophy Statement






            I think that teaching social studies is extremely important and students should be actively involved in the subject.  Schools are teaching less social studies to the students and I don’t think that should be done.  Social studies is the study of the past to understand the present and the future.  Moreover, social studies is more than just history.  It is the study of geography, social sciences, economics, and humanities.  Teaching social studies can promote students to becoming better citizens and democratic thinkers.  I believe that children are the future and it is up to teachers to make students realize their potential.  I believe that teachers should always work on their pedagogical content knowledge.  Teachers should always come up with new ideas and ways to teach social studies.     
I highly believe that students’ interests should guide the learning.  Students should be able to construct their own knowledge and develop critical thinking and problem solving skills. I believe that students should work in groups to develop necessary social skills.  Students should learn to conduct the inquiry process.  They should be given a problem and the means to solve the problem.  The students should make observations, predictions, and a hypothesis.  I want my students to become critical thinkers and engage in cooperative learning.  I think that collaborative learning teachers respect, responsibility, and consideration.  The students learn how to be open-minded and listen to ideas they may not have had.  Also,  I think that teachers should be able to effectively teach using technology.  Teaching with technology is engaging and is where education is heading.  Since students are growing up with technology, I believe that it is a great way to connect with the class. Furthermore, I believe that self-evaluation is important.  Students should be able to assess their work.  Also, students should assess their group member’s contribution to a project.  As a future teacher, this is what I want for my students!      

                             



No comments:

Post a Comment