Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tween Tribune

 TweenTribune.gif
Tween Tribune is a free non-profit newspaper for kids.  It is used for kids ages 8-15.  Tweens can post comments on newspapers and respond to other comments.  The site is current events and the topics include education, technology, national news, and world news.  I think that I will use this in my classroom as a future teacher.  I think that it is good for students to follow current events and to interact with other students.  However, it wasn't that fun for me to follow these current events.  I think that the current events were interesting but as a 20 year old, some seemed childish.  I will definitely incorporate tween tribune into my teaching.  It is important for students to know what is going on in the world and this is a way for them too.


The following were the posts I made on Tween Tribune.

laurenm-Smi Romney skips Nickelodeon, Obama doesn't
I think that it is not a big deal that Romney didn't go to the event. It's understandable that Romney was busy. He is running for President and doesn't have time for nonsense. Obama could have put his time to better use. Instead of attending a children's event, he could have worked on improving this country. Since after all, that is his job.

I can't believe that a teacher would do that to a student. Teachers should think about what they say to their students. It is hard for me to believe that she didn't intentionally embarrass and insult her student. It was wrong for the teacher to compare the shirt to a KKK shirt because there aren't similarities and she is misleading her students. The students are getting the wrong idea about Romney because of the teacher. I think that this teacher should've been fired.

laurenm-Smi Smaller iPad to be revealed Oct. 23
I think that a smaller iPad is a great idea. Because it is smaller, schools will be able to provide students with one. Teaching with technology can be a wonderful learning experience. Instead of having textbooks, the students can have books on their iPad and instead of writing notes, students can type it on the iPad. Also, it will be easier to carry around and bring places. I think that I would like to buy a small iPad!

laurenm-Smi Textbooks becoming history, dust, vapor...
I think that students should use iPads instead of hardbound textbooks. First, textbooks are heavy. Second, an iPad has more information than a textbook. If a students come across an unfamiliar word, they can easily look it up. Also, an iPad would be less costly. I think that an iPad mini would be extremely practical.

laurenm-Smi iPads help kids with autism communicate
I think that using technology for students with disabilities is an engaging and effective way to teach. I think that teachers should use iPads especially if it displays such promise for students with autism. Students should have access to iPads in school.

laurenm-Smi Is penmanship important or a waste of time?
I do not think that penmanship is a waste of time. Even though technology is growing, I think that students should not rely on the computer for such a task. I think that it would be laziness if students did not take a pen to paper from time to time. I think that penmanship is important and students should at least know how to write. When note taking, writing in cursive is quicker. Therefore, students should know how to write. I don't think that handwriting is something that should be electronic.

I think that the national anthem is a sign of respect and appreciate towards freedom. It should always be sung before games and I don't think that a one minute 15-second instrumental is a good way to honor the country. Also, I think the pledge should be said. I find is hard to believe that people would attempt to ban the national anthem before a games. I believe that students and citizens should feel a sense of pride about their country! As a future teacher, I want my students to feel pride and honor for their country!

No comments:

Post a Comment